What is LYMEC ?
The European Liberal Youth, abbreviated as LYMEC, is a pan-European youth organisation seeking to promote liberal values throughout the EU as the youth organisation of the ALDE Party and its parliamentary group in the European Parliament (ALDE, Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe).
Involving about 210,000 members from 58 organisations in 33 countries, LYMEC is made up of Member Organisations (MO) and Individual Membership (IM) and it is active across the breadth and diversity of the European continent. Our central aim is the creation of a liberal and federal Europe.
LYMEC was established in 1976 as the ‘Liberal and Radical Youth Movement of the European Community’. As a youth organisation, LYMEC supports the development of political and educational understanding of young people throughout Europe. LYMEC strives to play a political role within Europe by cooperating with other liberal and radical organisations - like ALDE Party - and to represent liberal interests in European youth movements.
Our basic aims and activities
In brief, our organisation aims to:
- create a liberal and federal Europe;
- educate its member organisations and individual members through the realisation of seminars, publications, group travel, symposia, courses and meetings;
- increase the common understanding of liberal ideas among young people throughout Europe ;
- promote tolerance between cultures and individuals;
- increase the level of political awareness and involvement of young people in politics including the promotion of active citizenship.
Recent activities include seminars organised in various European countries, conferences and symposia organised in the European Parliament, travel groups, demonstrations…
We gather together for Congresses and Executive Committee meetings in various locations throughout Europe during the year to exchange ideas and meet our fellow liberal colleagues. Check out the events
Want to know more?
Check our Manifesto and our Electoral Programme! The Manifesto is a key document defining what the values and aims of LYMEC are, whereas the electoral programme contains the main points which the young candidates at the last European Parliament elections in June 2009 were standing for.
LYMEC is the youth organisation of:
- Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, Parliamentary Group
- Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, Party
LYMEC is the member of:
- European Youth Forum
- European Liberal Forum
- European Network of Political Fundations