October 28 2022 - October 30 2022
October 28, 2022 at 2:00pm - October 30, 2022
Applications are now closed for this event!
This event is set to take place in Vienna, Austria between 28-30 October 2022.
The Liberal Hack 2022 aims to challenge our young liberals to explore how the EU can become a global leader in a fair and democratic digitalisation process, while being competitive and developing cutting-edge technology. Our target audience is young European liberals (aged 18-35), primarily members of LYMEC Member Organisations and Individual Members, but also ELF members, NGOs and think tanks, and the general public.
A Hackathon with four teams of four young liberals from all over Europe will discuss proposals for a safe and liberal digitised environment in Europe. They will focus on one specific technology and problem and find an actionable solution. They will be able to rank the topics according to preference in the registration form.
The four main technologies our teams are going to deal with are:
- Blockchain - Digital Coin
- Artificial Intelligence - Biometric identification/Machine learning
- Augmented Reality applied to digital education
- The Internet of things
As the voice of young liberals in Europe, we want our participants to take an active part in shaping Europe’s future in digital politics, a topic that is of special relevance and interest to our generation. With the rapid spread of new infrastructure such as 5G, we have to come up with an inclusive and innovative strategy that leaves no one behind, protects our data and privacy, but preserves global interaction at the same time. The technology is there, but a youth-centred plan for its management is not.
The main outcomes of the Liberal Hack 2022 will be organised in a booklet to be advertised and distributed to relevant policy-makers, so as to have a bigger societal impact and communication outreach. The booklet will include the knowledge on all the technologies tackled during the event, their effects on the digital gap and tips on how to use them in the future. Be ready to challenge yourself and do your best - the winning team will get a special prize!
- Registrations are now closed for this event!
- The applicant must be between 18 and 35 years of age
- The applicant must be an Individual Member of LYMEC (priority), additional available spots could be allocated to applicant members from our member organisations
- Applicants cannot be candidates at elections (at any level of governance) before, during and 12 months after the event takes place. The European Liberal Forum does not accept any participant who is a candidate for an election with a scheduled election date falling between the start of the skill training and the final day of the programme. Should a participant in the programme take part in an election with a scheduled election date falling within 12 months after the final day of the programme, as a candidate or as paid campaign staff, the participant or participant's sending party agrees to pay a participation fee (representing a contribution relative to the services rendered by ELF). Should the participant run as an independent candidate, the participant agrees to pay the fee according to the country's campaign finance regulation.
- Staff or officials (in elected or administrative functions) of political parties participating in a skill training are subject to a participation fee (representing a contribution relative to the services rendered by ELF).
Travel reimbursement and no participation fee:
There will be no participation costs, meals and accommodation will be covered. Accommodation is foreseen in double shared rooms.
There will be at least partial travel refunds up to 150 EUR per person, participants must buy their own tickets and request a reimbursement after the event. Please keep all original receipts, tickets, invoices and boarding passes.
As all LYMEC related events, this seminar also applies the rules of late cancellation and no show fees: Cancellation less than 2 weeks prior to each event leads to a late cancellation fee of 25 EUR, and cancellation less than 48 hours prior to each event or not attending at all leads to a no show fee of 50 EUR.
We are happy to look into alternative ways of participating in our events for economically difficult, disabled or less literate participants in order to maximise the opportunities for all. Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to look into the possibilities available.
Events organised by European Liberal Youth (LYMEC) and ELF (European Liberal Forum) may be audio- and video-recorded as well as web-streamed. A photographer and/or a cameraman, contracted by LYMEC, may have access to the meeting room in order to take pictures and videos for communication and publication purposes. Videos and pictures taken by the photographer and/or cameraman, contracted by LYMEC, may also be published on the LYMEC website and on related social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.). They may also be used in other media and means of communication in order to pass on information about the event and activities of LYMEC. The European Liberal Forum might also use the pictures, video or audio in their communications.
***Disclaimer: By registering for this event you give your permission for LYMEC and European Liberal Forum to use your picture in their promotional campaigns and materials and communication about the event. Please make it clear in advance if you do not wish your picture to be used by LYMEC or ELF.***