July 01 2022 - July 03 2022
Scientifically Illiterate no more
July 01, 2022 at 3:00pm - July 03, 2022
Scientifically Illiterate no more
Applications are open through the following form available here before Tuesday 24 May, 2022 at 14 h CEST (Brussels time).
This event is set to take place in Zagreb, Croatia between 1-3 July 2022.
This seminar is primarily organised for Individual Members of LYMEC: the main goal is to increase their knowledge on relevant scientific concepts and public health, AI & IT, or climate. Through experienced speakers, workshops, self-reflecting and interactive sessions, this seminar will provide young liberals with a better understanding of basic concepts of scientific literacy, so that they are equipped to act and react proactively to current issues.
The COVID-19 pandemic has made obvious the educational gaps that our society in general suffers when it comes to scientific literacy. In Europe, we have seen that an important part of the society doesn’t trust in science anymore. This is mostly due to the lack of understanding of scientific concepts.
The ability to understand basic scientific literature is relevant for us as citizens of democratic countries both in our relations to our government and to our fellow citizens, because only if we understand the concepts that govern the politics that deal with science (health policies, scientific diplomacy, etc.), will we be able to respond in the face of public disasters such as pandemics, climate change and other related and highly relevant issues of our times. It is important to know as well how to propose and respond as liberals in the face of these events with liberal solutions.
The main objectives:
- Provide participants with better understanding of basic concepts of scientific literacy in the topics of public health, AI & IT, and climate.
- Put in practice the concepts that will have been explained, so that the participants can continue active learning and propose liberal policy solutions.
- Increase awareness about ELF and LYMEC and how they serve liberals by developing the work on scientific literacy and setting a precedent in the field for both organisations.
- Participants will act as multipliers and bring the knowledge and approach acquired during the project to their organisations and countries.
Participants will be further able to:
- analyse relevant policies and events, practice active learning and propose liberal policy solutions that incorporate the explained concepts;
- introduce a resolution on the topic at the following LYMEC Congress;
- publish an article on the Libertas Magazine and ELF Website.
- Please complete the following form available here before Tuesday 24 May, 2022 at 14 h CEST (Brussels time).
- The applicant must be between 18 and 35 years of age
- The applicant must be an Individual Member of LYMEC (priority), additional available spots could be allocated to applicant members from our member organisations
- Applicants cannot be candidates at elections (at any level of governance) before, during and 12 months after the event takes place. The European Liberal Forum does not accept any participant who is a candidate for an election with a scheduled election date falling between the start of the skill training and the final day of the programme. Should a participant in the programme take part in an election with a scheduled election date falling within 12 months after the final day of the programme, as a candidate or as paid campaign staff, the participant or participant's sending party agrees to pay a participation fee (representing a contribution relative to the services rendered by ELF). Should the participant run as an independent candidate, the participant agrees to pay the fee according to the country's campaign finance regulation.
- Staff or officials (in elected or administrative functions) of political parties participating in a skill training are subject to a participation fee (representing a contribution relative to the services rendered by ELF).
Travel reimbursement and no participation fee:
There will be no participation costs, meals and accommodation will be covered. Accommodation is foreseen in double shared rooms.
There will be at least partial travel refunds up to 150 EUR per person, participants must buy their own tickets and request a reimbursement after the event. Please keep all original receipts, tickets, invoices and boarding passes.
As all LYMEC related events, this seminar also applies the rules of late cancellation and no show fees: Cancellation less than 2 weeks prior to each event leads to a late cancellation fee of 25 EUR, and cancellation less than 48 hours prior to each event or not attending at all leads to a no show fee of 50 EUR.
We are happy to look into alternative ways of participating in our events for economically difficult, disabled or less literate participants in order to maximise the opportunities for all. Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like to look into the possibilities available.
Events organised by European Liberal Youth (LYMEC) and ELF (European Liberal Forum) may be audio- and video-recorded as well as web-streamed. A photographer and/or a cameraman, contracted by LYMEC, may have access to the meeting room in order to take pictures and videos for communication and publication purposes. Videos and pictures taken by the photographer and/or cameraman, contracted by LYMEC, may also be published on the LYMEC website and on related social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.). They may also be used in other media and means of communication in order to pass on information about the event and activities of LYMEC. The European Liberal Forum might also use the pictures, video or audio in their communications.
***Disclaimer: By registering for this event you give your permission for LYMEC and European Liberal Forum to use your picture in their promotional campaigns and materials and communication about the event. Please make it clear in advance if you do not wish your picture to be used by LYMEC or ELF.***